Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Last Day!!!

The last day of a cruise is always biter sweet. You want to continue having fun, but you know you need to pack and get ready for the next day’s early disembarkation. The realization sets in that your time on the ship is almost done.

During the night the seas started to get rough, but not in the regular way, this time the ship was rocking from front to back. The morning was not too bad, but as the day went on it felt like you were on a never ending roller coaster. Rex our room steward looked just green. Karen actually got sick from the movement, I felt bad for her.

At morning trivia there was this couple that we had met at the Cruise Critic gathering and she was kind of a piece of work – thought very highly of herself. At the end of Trivia she went up to Trevor, in front of everyone and rip him a new one over the time of the trivia game that evening. She claimed Princess was discriminating against those who had late dinner seating when they scheduled their evening events. She went off for about 5 minutes. I was standing there to chat with Trevor and actually jumped in to defend Princess. I could not believe she was so mean about the whole thing. Trevor handled the situation well, but it was a bit ridicules.

Due to the waves, the water in the pools we moving so much it was filling the deck area, about a foot deep. The kids thought it was a riot to play in it. Here are some pictures of the kids surfing in the water. During the afternoon we tried to stay mid ship since it was less rocky there. We did not go to dinner, so I picked something up in the food court. In the evening there was the Lair’s club game – basically balderdash in a group setting. We joined with our regular group and won!!! Then we went to the last trivia game. We did not win this one, unfortunately the women who yelled at Trevor in the morning won. They were the last people Trevor wanted to give the prize to. After trivia was the finals of the Princess pop star. We took a couple pictures of the friends we made on the cruise directors staff
Jorge Rachel (ie Rachel Rebecca) Them together.

The Pop Star finals was really good. Chantelle Barry saw beautifully and her boyfriend Scott did his Elvis impression again. Marcus a crowd favorite also did good. For a cruise ship talent show it was a bit unbelievable the level of talent. Chantelle ended up winning and announced her real CD was coming out in a few months.

After Pop Stars Karen went to bed and I went up to Skywalkers. It was pretty funny. With the ship moving as much as it was everyone on the dance floor was move with the ship – you really didn’t need to dance.

The next morning, Karen and I had to go to different parts of the ship to disembark – due to our different nationalities. We met up at the luggage area and took a shuttle back to LAX. While we were waiting for our flight I got really into the book I was reading. I didn’t put it down as we got on the plane or through the whole flight. Our first flight was from LAX to Las Vegas. The only time I stopped reading was when the pilot came on to talk about how turbulent the flight was going to be. We were now flying through the storm we had sailed through the day before. Karen and I braced ourselves for the flight. We were pretty disappointed in the lack of turbulence, not that we wanted it, but after all the build up, we were expecting something more. So I was able to spend the flight reading. We landed in Vegas with out any issues. Our layover was not too long, and I only had 50 or so pages to go in my book. I wanted to finish it before the next flight so that I could switch the book out for the next one in the series. So I literally walked around the airport reading my book, such a flashback to my youth when I always had my nose in a book. Thankfully I finished it before we boarded. As we went to get on the plane the gate attendant informed me that my carry on was too big. I said I just flew with it and it was fine. She went on to say the rules had changed on February 1st and I said I just flew here from LAX with it. She then got all puffy and told me they did things wrong at LAX and I had to gate check it. Which was fine, but it kind of made me laugh.

The flight from Las Vegas to Detroit was uneventful. I read again. We got back to Detroit pretty late – midnightish. We still had to drive back to Grand Rapids, about 2 hours. The drive was fine and we got back to my house safe and sound. The next day we slept in and Karen left mid afternoon to go back home. It had been another fun trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment